[Dev] Enhancing development workflow

Bartosh, Eduard eduard.bartosh at intel.com
Wed Oct 29 11:39:39 GMT 2014

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Ohly [mailto:patrick.ohly at intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:20 AM
To: Bartosh, Eduard
Cc: Stephane Desneux; Lehtonen, Markus; dev at lists.tizen.org
Subject: Re: [Dev] Enhancing development workflow

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 17:05 +0000, Bartosh, Eduard wrote:
> > So you're describing another type of submissions, which should be
> handled by the users themselves: it'd be the same mechanisme as
> sandboxes in gerrit, but for builds. And when you're here, you're not
> far from using home projects in OBS, which is not what we want.
>
> Yeah, it would be good to isolate this types of submissions in another
> namespace (home:devel: or something like that). However, I don't agree
> that prerelease projects can't be used for this purpose right away.
> The only thing which needs to be done is to agree with RE that they
> don't touch submission until devs say it's ok to integrate it. Not a
> big deal from my point of view.

> I disagree about this being not a big deal. This relies on out-of-band, unrecorded communication between people, which is error-prone. What if one RE knows not to accept, but some other RE doesn't and accidentally accepts?

What if developer will ask both REs? Let me make it clear - I'm not saying this is a perfect scheme. I'm saying that this is working scheme and can be used right away. I'm as RE don't see this as a big deal. If developer asks me not to touch something until it's ready - I'm ok with this. To make this kind of projects easily recognizable we can use predefined submit tags for them. The benefits of this approach is: RE will see those projects can ping developers if they forget about them. Developers can get package repositories, images and even test results for their submissions. All of it is available for usage right now!

> Tagging different "gbs submit"s with the same tag has a similar problem:
> while the developer is in the process of adding submits, the group submission is incomplete and must not be accepted. If for some reason the developer gets interrupted, the group submission is left in an incomplete state and might get accepted accidentally (assuming that it compiles).

Unless developer contacts RE and asks not to accept this particular submission. Simple like that.

Regards,
Ed
Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki