[Dev] Enhancing development workflow

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Oct 29 12:46:11 GMT 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 11:39 +0000, Bartosh, Eduard wrote:
> Hi,

This helps of course, but doesn't address the underlying problem. It's
easy for you and me, but most developers don't even know who's currently
the active RE(s).

> Let me make it clear - I'm not saying this is a perfect scheme. I'm
> saying that this is working scheme and can be used right away. I'm as
> RE don't see this as a big deal. If developer asks me not to touch
> something until it's ready - I'm ok with this. To make this kind of
> projects easily recognizable we can use predefined submit tags for
> them. The benefits of this approach is: RE will see those projects can
> ping developers if they forget about them. Developers can get package
> repositories, images and even test results for their submissions. All
> of it is available for usage right now!

Using special tags would be better. Is it already possible? I think I
ran into some kind of name format check when I tried to use a normal
string as tag once.

> > Tagging different "gbs submit"s with the same tag has a similar problem:
> > while the developer is in the process of adding submits, the group
> submission is incomplete and must not be accepted. If for some reason
> the developer gets interrupted, the group submission is left in an
> incomplete state and might get accepted accidentally (assuming that it
> compiles).
>
> Unless developer contacts RE and asks not to accept this particular
> submission. Simple like that.

Same problem (dependency on out-of-band communication). It works, but I
wouldn't call that a robust process.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.