[Dev] Branching strategy beyond the 'final' 3.0 release?

Counihan, Tom tom.counihan at intel.com
Fri Sep 5 08:47:59 GMT 2014

Hi Folks,

Firstly, can someone confirm that the Tizen Common and Tizen IVI 3.0 'final' is targeting Dec 31st?
Here isn't clear to the committed date: https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TC/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel

That said, I'm curious to know what the branching strategy beyond that will be?
Is it still the situation that an official release will be supported 1 year after the release for bug fixes and 2 years for security fixes?
If not, can you share the current thinking.

My confusion is triggered from JIRA observations, where a lot have been dispositioned as " WON'T FIX for 1.0. Frozen", or "Closing as a WON'T FIX for 2.0", or simply moving the bug fix to the next official release.
These often within the window of the above expected support timeline.

Based upon this observation, I'm curious to know if the support model has changed?

Side note - who is the Tizen Common release manager?
When I run a filter on TC to get an understanding of the features targeted for Tizen Common 'final' (or whatever the correct terminology) [project = TC AND type = Feature], the challenge is because there is no 'fix version' defined for the final deliverable its challenging to know what is targeted for the final date or not. So, for example some features are in a "Scoping" status, and from that one cannot really tell if it's a 3.0 target or not.
The final query triggered from this observation is - what is the 'feature freeze' date of TC and TIVI? By feature freeze I mean a date where beyond that only bug fixes and performance issues are worked upon?

Warm Regards
Tom.
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare