[Dev] Branching strategy beyond the 'final' 3.0 release?

Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Fri Sep 5 09:09:17 GMT 2014

Le 05/09/2014 10:47, Counihan, Tom a écrit :
> Hi Folks,
>
> Firstly, can someone confirm that the Tizen Common and Tizen IVI 3.0 'final' is targeting Dec 31st?
> Here isn't clear to the committed date: https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TC/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel
Like any open source project the final date is driven by our adopters.
As written our target for Tizen IVI 3.0 is end 2014.
It does not mean that we will stop there
> That said, I'm curious to know what the branching strategy beyond that will be?
Our branching strategy since 14.2 is to create a branch on release date.
> Is it still the situation that an official release will be supported 1 year after the release for bug fixes and 2 years for security fixes?
> If not, can you share the current thinking.
You may have noticed that we have already aligned Tizen Common and Tizen
IVI for IA on the Kernel 3.14 which is the latest LTS and candidate as
next LSTI.
Already LTS provide us a guarantee of support for 2 years.

> My confusion is triggered from JIRA observations, where a lot have been dispositioned as " WON'T FIX for 1.0. Frozen", or "Closing as a WON'T FIX for 2.0", or simply moving the bug fix to the next official release.
> These often within the window of the above expected support timeline.
Note that we are not committed to suport intermediate release for long
term. Intermediate releases are maintain to help our adopters to
integrate their code but expectation is that final product will be based
on a formal release which is scheduled to be end 2014 fro Tizen 3.0.

> Based upon this observation, I'm curious to know if the support model has changed?
there is not change in the support model, but we have not create any
product release yet for Tizen 3. We have pushed intermediate releases
14.1 and 14.2 and we are going to push soon a 14.3.

> Side note - who is the Tizen Common release manager?"
Stéphane Desneux (Eurogiciel)" <stephane.desneux at open.eurogiciel.org>
Kown as "sdx" in Jira and Git. His is located in Vannes, Brittany, France.
> When I run a filter on TC to get an understanding of the features targeted for Tizen Common 'final' (or whatever the correct terminology) [project = TC AND type = Feature], the challenge is because there is no 'fix version' defined for the final deliverable its challenging to know what is targeted for the final date or not. So, for example some features are in a "Scoping" status, and from that one cannot really tell if it's a 3.0 target or not.
> The final query triggered from this observation is - what is the 'feature freeze' date of TC and TIVI? By feature freeze I mean a date where beyond that only bug fixes and performance issues are worked upon?
Tizen Common is not an formal profile but an integration tool shared
between profiles. It allows to integrate complex developments such as
Crosswalk, Security, Multi user, AppFW; ... or Yocto build without
putting a heavy burden on each profiles. But the release strategy and
feature adoption are defined by profiles.

Dominig