[Dev] Tizen 3 services: use case for multi user

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Mon Sep 8 12:27:22 GMT 2014

On 5.9.2014 14:05, Counihan, Tom wrote:

> Would it be worth considering, from a device perspective it knows only of its MAC address and a PIN to auth.
> PIN is loosely coupled to the user, but from a BT spec perspective, the protocol has no real concept of the user.

Once the device is paired, there's no problem anymore, because pairing
data can be stored per user and MAC address binds the device to the user.

> Finally, having a device orientated store structure could offer some advantage to purging data - for rental cars, I may want to have a generic 'guest' (or even have a pay-per service model where when renting, could 'upgrade' guest to enable navigation for a fee), so I may want to invoke the user concept to bucket different services, but I need a way to legally adhere to the data protection act by purging the addressbook without having to delete /recreate the user profile - less erase/rewrites helps my flash memory longevity - which is a far bigger issue for IVI than multiuser, as the typical head unit replacement cost - parts and labor - could reach $3000.

Only way to make it sure all data, including 3rd party application data,
is purged is to clean up the home directory. It doesn't involve any
significant write activity as it only modifies filesystem metadata. This
is already done by gumd.

In any case, modern flash devices have at least 100k to 1M erase cycles
per block and a car having 1M engine starts will certainly start failing
in many other places much before flash wears out.