[Dev] Failed to start EFL UI when launched from dbus-daemon.

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) tizen at rasterman.com
Thu Sep 11 07:44:10 GMT 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:38:39 +0300 Amarnath Valluri
<amarnath.valluri at linux.intel.com> said:

> Hi,
>
> On Tizen EFL based application is failed to start, when launched from
> dbus-daemon, because of missing mandatory environment variables :
> ELM_ENGINE, ELM_THEME etc., Everything works fine if we launch the app
> from terminal, as bash(/etc/profile) sets the needed environment.

those are not mandatory. they are actually env vars intended for testing,
development etc. all of this is available in config files. but there has been a
bit of laziness here in relying on these env vars rather than modifying config
files. :)

/usr/share/elementary/config/

contains system config for elementary profile.cfg says which pfoile to use by
default and each dir is the profile name. in each dir will be a base.cfg that
is the config for that profile.

profile.cfg is an eet file with a single key of "config"

that key is simply a string, so you can use eet cmdline tool to set it to the
string you want or to extract it to a file. the file contents verbatim are what
the key contains or hat is imported into it. (just run eet without options for
help). the base.cfg contains a single key in it and this is a config structure.
you need to extract to a text file, edit, then re-import using eet. i can't
tell you what profile tizen is set up to used on system config atm - i'm on
holidays.

also the same config setup is repeated in ~/.elementary/config - and this is
the config for that specific user. this takes priority over system config.

elementary even shipped with a gui config tool for selecting profile, theme,
engine etc. so you don't have to mess with these cfg files. they re not meant
to be regularly messed with by people - they are ment to be efficient for
runtime to decode (and encode) as this is what is using these cfg files 99.99%
of the time - humans barely touch them... and of course that's why there are
gui tools, but you can mess with hem if you need to.

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <tizen at rasterman.com>