[Dev] D-Bus bindings for Crosswalk, Crosswalk extensions in Python

Kis, Zoltan zoltan.kis at intel.com
Fri Sep 12 12:05:47 GMT 2014

This way one could prototype very fast and deploy apps/extensions and
test user interest: if it's high enough, could do a native extension
to make it somewhat faster (but I doubt it would be much faster, or
better said, with less latency).

Technically this will not be a significantly better solution than
writing native extensions. Hosting Cloudeebus in the browser process
will not work because security reasons (or need to include a security
manager too which identifies and restricts apps). If we drop this,
then 2 serializations need to be done anyway, one to/from D-Bus, and
one to/from the JS shim. But indeed would result in somewhat less code
to be written in certain/many extensions, and don't have to deal with
mainloop integration issues since this one will be solved by the
addition. So this would be very useful, ideal for prototyping, and
even production in many cases, but cannot cover everything
exclusively.

However, when we also need C/C++ API's (i.e. there can be native apps
and equivalent web apps too), it is better to use them directly in the
native extensions, and some developers may just want to use D-Bus from
their native extension code since they are used with it and goes fast,
or just use their native libraries for a given service.

Best regards,
Zoltan