[Dev] D-Bus bindings for Crosswalk, Crosswalk extensions in Python

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Fri Sep 12 15:46:22 GMT 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 14:36 +0000, Schroeder, Henning wrote:
> I just got made aware of this thread, maybe there is something in it
> for the short and for the long term ...
>
> Short term you would do the following:
> 1.) You do have a Media Manager interface definitions in fidl.
> 2.) You have a Media Manager implementation binding to d-bus.
> 3.) You open the fidl file in Franca Editor and export to d-bus
> introspection. (You also may be able to introspect the Media Manager?)
> 4.) You take that introspection file and open it in cloudeebus.
> 5.) You implement in javascript against this interface.

Jonatan told me that CommonAPI provides the introspection D-Bus APIs.
Cloudeebus in its current form uses that to generate the JavaScript
proxies and nothing else. Someone using Cloudeebus+pycrosswalk in
Crosswalk doesn't need to use Franca or the fidl file, although it
probably helps to know about it when using a service API primarily
defined in Franca.

> Long term:
> 1.) You add fidl support to cloudeebus.
> 2.) You create code generators for the crosswalk extension to map WebAPI defined Javascript calls onto Common API based implementations.
> 3.) You make the cloudeebus API look like a WebAPI.

When generating code from Franca, it might make more sense to generate
code which no longer depends on Cloudeebus and Python at all. That's up
for debate and further investigations.

> 5.) You integrate the Tizen Security capabilities into the generated
> code so you do not have to touch existing implementations.
> 6.) you make the IDENTICAL interface available into HTML5 (via
> Crosswalk extension AND cloudeebus) and Native via Common API based
> code generation. You may have to define one interface with low
> complexity for app environments (App stores) and one with full
> capability for the main HMI.

That's relevant for implementing services, which are probably less
likely to be implemented in HTML5. The security checks can't be on the
client side of a service, because that side is by definition not
trusted.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.