[Dev] Unfortunate things about Odroid XU support.

Heecheol, Yang heecheol.yang at outlook.com
Tue Sep 16 08:09:04 GMT 2014

Hello,

I am personally trying to port Tizen on my odroidXU board which has Exynos
5410 SoC.

Struggling for about 3 months, I concluded that it is almost impossible now
due to several reasons below, and I am considering to give up porting work.

However, I thought that I'd better to share my experiences before I really
decide to give up. So, I am writing this mail to share what I have suffered
from.

First of all, I want to mention that the stable Linux kernel version which
OdroidXU supports is 3.4. It is the first barrier that makes me impossible
to port.

As you know, Tizen's security framework is based on underlying SMACK in
kernel. However, kernel 3.4 doesn't have adequate version of SMACK.

To be specific, when I booted Tizen on that kernel version, booting failed
because systemd failed to access load2 interface in smackfs.

Actually, LOAD2 interface is supported from kernel >= 3.10. When I realized
the fact, I tried to find higher kernel version that supports Odroid XU.

Fortunately, I found 3.13 and 3.14 kernel version from link below.

https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/odroid-3.13.y-linaro

It was experimental and non-stable version and It was originally intended to
support Ubuntu. Of course, It works well when I booted this version with
Ubuntu.

However, when I tried to boot the kernel with Tizen rootfs, the booting
stopped printing 'imprecise external abort'. The error is very similar to
the link below.

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-November/214882.h
tml

At first, I thought that the error may be related to the Tizen, not kernel.
However I changed my thought, and implicitly concluded that it may be
related to kernel. But not exactly.

Anyway, whatever the error is related to, it was so hard to debug for me.

In summary

1.     Stable Odroid XU kernel version(3.4) can't support Tizen due to old
SMACK version.

2.     The experimental version of recent kernel version has a bug difficult
to solve.

These are what I experienced and followings are what I think have to do if I
would continue porting work.

1.     Backport up-to-date version of SMACK into the stable kernel 3.4 or

2.     Solve the problems in kernel 3.13

Yes, they are possible to do but as a premature person, it is very difficult
for me to do alone. I have no debugging hardware tools, not enough
knowledge, and so on. This is the most important reason: I am premature.

So I want to conclude my mail by saying thanks to many people who helped in
various ways.

In someday, I wish to port Tizen on my board.

Regards,

Hee-cheol, Yang.