[Dev] Tizen on Raspberry PI 2 using Yocto

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Tue Apr 21 00:20:13 GMT 2015

Hi Mauro,

Well done. Thank you for sharing this very useful tutorial!

I have Raspberry Pi 2 and tonight I tried the tutorial before going to
bed. Following the described steps I managed to build an image but it
fails to boot due to a kernel panic. Please have a look at my logs:
https://gist.github.com/leon-anavi/386e81df83b0b5b1d62d

I got the same result using two different microSD cards. I had a long
day so may be I am missing something simple. Have you experienced
something similar and could you please provide me hints how to solve it?

Btw some information that might be useful for other developers. The
procedure to enable serial debugging on Raspberry Pi 2 is the same as on
the old model of the board. File cmdline.txt from the boot partition
should be modified and instructions for serial console should be added
as in the example below:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200
console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4
init=/lib/systemd/systemd rw rootwait debug

USB to UART cable with serial output 3.3V voltage levels such as Olimex
USB-Serial-Cable-F should be connected to GPIO of RPI2 as follows:
* The RX line of the cable (GREEN wire if you are using Olimex
USB-Serial-Cable-F) should go to pin 8 (TX line) of HummingBoard,
* The TX line of the cable (RED wire if you are using Olimex
USB-Serial-Cable-F) should go to pin 10 (RX line),
* The BLUE wire if you are using Olimex USB-Serial-Cable-F should go to
pin 6 (GND).

Pay attention that the colours of the cable may vary depending on the
vendor. If you have USB console cable from Adafruit please have a look
at:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-5-using-a-console-cable/connect-the-lead

Thanks,
Leon

On 20.04.2015 15:10, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to share some work we did in order to compile Tizen for
> Raspberry PI 2 using Yocto. The procedure is described at:
> 	http://blogs.s-osg.org/bringing-tizen-to-a-raspberry-pi-2-near-you/
>
> Basically, in order to do that, we had to fix some things at tizen-distro,
> in order to:
>
> - Fix the rpmbuild recipe, in order to not pass the compilation
>    options to rpm arch, as it would cause troubles when building
>    for ARM, as it would mark the OS name as "gnueabi", instead of
>    "linux" for most packages;
>
> - Don't compile Wayland/Weston egl for the RPI2 proprietary driver,
>    as mesa/gallium doesn't support the RPI2 GPU.
>
> - Some other random minor fixes.
>
> I also had to patch the Yocto's BSP for RPI2, in order to make it to
> build for Tizen.
>
> Now that Tizen is building and running on RPI2, I'll be working on
> preparing the patches for tizen-distro, in order to make it easier
> to compile for non-x86 machines.
>
> I'm not sure yet what to do with the RPI2 BSP layer, as most of the
> changes there are specific for Tizen. So, it probably won't fit upstream.
>
> Perhaps the best would be to merge meta-raspberrypi into tizen-distro.
> Suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Mauro

Leon Anavi