[Dev] Tizen bring-up - DRM

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Wed Dec 16 11:46:16 GMT 2015

Hello Shahul,

2015년 12월 16일 18:33에 Shahul Ahamed Shaik 이(가) 쓴 글:

> Dear All,
>
>     We are trying to bring-up Tizen on our platform. Android is running on our platform and we are using FrameBuffer for rendering.
>     Is the use of DRM compulsory for Tizen bring-up and graphics rendering?

It's not compulsory but we recommend to use DRM instead of Linux framebuffer because Linux framebuffer not only has many limitations for advanced ARM SoC but also doesn't support the integrated buffer manager.

> If not, what is the way to bypass DRM and use FrameBuffer directly to achieve Rendering, and what are the advantages/disadvantages associated with the same?
>     Please let me know.

It would be dependent on what backend - Linux framebuffer or DRM - is used by native window system such as X or Wayland server.
The advantages with DRM is that Tizen platform is DRM-friendly so it is easy to port Tizen platform to your kernel, including easy-to-manage DMA buffer and many hardware features available.

Thanks,
Inki Dae