[Dev] Tizen bring-up - DRM

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Thu Dec 17 10:31:50 GMT 2015

Hi Shahul,

2015년 12월 17일 18:50에 Shahul Ahamed Shaik 이(가) 쓴 글:

> Hi Inki Dae,
>
> 1. Our SoC is MIPS based. Do the limitations still exist with Linux framebuffer?

Linux framebuffer has the limitations not MIPS. Linux mainline had already stopped new feature update for Linux framebuffer, which means Linux mainline will move to DRM gradually.
Actually, most ARM SoC started to move to DRM already.

> 2. Can you be a little more specific about bypassing the DRM and use Linux framebuffer directly? Native window system is X and it uses DRM at the backend.

Before that, Could I ask you about why you want to bypass the DRM although you already has the native window system which provides the DRM backend?

AFAIK, you can use X server with FB backend by building it with proper configuration - please, check X server build document.
However, the problem is that you have to implement a buffer manager as a TBM (Tizen Buffer Manager) backend[1] because all X clients allocate DMA buffer through TBM[2] interfaces.
If you use DRM, then DRM could be the backend. If not so - you use FB, then other buffer manager would be required for it such as ION[3] or other vendor specific one.

[1] https://review.tizen.org/git/?p=platform/adaptation/samsung_exynos/libtbm-exynos4412.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tizen
[2] https://review.tizen.org/git/?p=platform/core/uifw/libtbm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tizen
[3] https://lwn.net/Articles/480055/

Thanks,