[Dev] Common QA for "Tizen on Yocto"

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Fri Jun 5 10:01:54 GMT 2015

Hi Philippe, All,

On 5.06.2015 12:32, Philippe Coval wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Carsten Haitzler
> <c.haitzler at samsung.com> wrote:
>> On 06/05/2015 04:14 PM, Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) wrote:
>>> Centre Intel SSG

>>> Zypper is not part of Tizen compliance and as Yocto does not use
>>> Zypper is quite logical not to have it.
> (...)
>> tizen useful. it differentiates tizen. it makes an installed tizen
>> device EASY to extend as a developer of that device or as someone
>> interested in augmmenting it.
> I agrea with leon, and raster
>
> As you know Yocto tends to use opkg  (ipkg's offsping from Openmoko IICR)
>
> To attract and save time to Yocto/OE developers (who probably dont
> care about rpm).
>
> Would it make sense to support also this package format ( for
> developers at least )?
>
> If so could it be helpful to setup a "community" repository of built
> packages in ipk format ?

In my opinion RPM is fine. Bitbake, the build system of the Yocto
project, supports several package formats: IPK, DEB, and RPM:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#closer-look

I don't think that at the moment "Tizen on Yocto" should switch for RPM
to IPK. There are a lot of more important tasks to be done, for example
simple things such as fixing the recipes to work for both Intel and ARM.

> I am not trying to replace existing packaging format into Tizen,
> but at the moment obs built  and yocto are not compatible
> (I bet misalignment will probably remain a certain amount of time.)
>
> Supporting zypper on yocto will probably add confusion,
> I can already hear pple complaining about using obs repos on yocto images.
>
> What are you thoughts about that ?
>
> And who is in maintaining the tizen yocto layer now ?
> Or who would like to co-maintain it ?

I have been looking for the right person about "Tizen on Yocto" for
while and I haven't found him yet. I would be happy to help with what I
can and to provide more patches if co-maintainers and/or developers are
needed.

Best regards,
Leon

--