[Dev] Tizen on Yocto status + maintenance

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Mon Jun 15 13:53:59 GMT 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-15 at 16:46 +0300, Leon Anavi wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> On 15.06.2015 03:16, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Btw, I think we should remove the alien patches from meta-tizen,
> > keeping the tree with just the things that aren't on other places,
> > and use git submodule support instead, to fetch from those alien
> > repositories.
> >
> > This makes things clearer, and, IMHO, makes maintainership a
> > way easier, as there's no need to solve conflicts when merging
> > back from the layers.
>
> I think this is an excellent idea because it will simplify the maintenance.

If done right, one also does not have to deal with merge conflicts when
using combo-layer.

The advantage of combo-layer is that one can mix content from different
repositories at the same level, for example maintain a top-level README
file in your own distro-specific component repository (see how the poky
repository is put together for an example).

If you feel that git sub modules fit your needs better, sure, why not.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.