[Dev] EGL OpenGL ES

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Mon Nov 2 00:36:14 GMT 2015

On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 17:27:16 -0700
Mats Wichmann <mats at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/2015 04:24 PM, Peter wrote:
> > Is there a platform independant way of obtaining a Window and
> > binding the EGL display to it without using EFL on Tizen?
> >
> > Is there a possiblity of Tizen supporting OpenKODE from Khronos in
> > the future?
>
> getting at egl other than through efl is discouraged at this time.  as
> to future, not even sure how requests like this get tracked... we'll
> see if there are further comments here.

to use egl you need a native display handle AND a native window. that
requires access directly to x11 display pointer and x11 window id (or
wayland equivalents). since we are moving from one to the other there
is no way we will ant time soon or likely even in the future, allow
this as it totally violates the portability between display systems
(let alone how events are handled etc. not even starting there). this
is how egl was designed and it simply goes directly up against a move
in display systems.

in future with vulkan things might look very different as it has no egl
layer. :) but egl/gles - likely not.