[Dev] EGL OpenGL ES

Peter jini at zeus.net.au
Mon Nov 2 01:54:05 GMT 2015

On 2/11/2015 11:28 AM, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 11:21:47 +1000
> Peter<jini at zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> On 2/11/2015 9:41 AM, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

>>> no. evas_gl replaces egl. it's done this way because there are so
>>> many other things you want to use the widget infrastructure for like
>>> indicator, kbd handling (eg sizing content to move out of the way of
>>> the kbd) etc. and if you use evas_gl you can merge both ui, widgets
>>> gl api.
>>>
>>> you simply need to change the egl parts (it's actually less work
>>> using elm_glview than using egl - by far) and ensure your rendering
>>> all happens in the render callback.
>>>
>> Carsten,
>>
>> Sounds good for creating a new application.
>>
>> I was investigating the work required to port an existing application.
>>
>> I noticed the EGL and GLES libraries exist on the tizen platform
>> emulator.
> yes - but you can't use them if you ever want to ship/distribute your
> app. platform components only as they can change to move display
> systems.
>
>> I was thinking of writing a wrapper library, that implements GLES2.0
>> around evas_gl.   A Tizen application has it's own lib directory, if
>> I install the wrapper library into this directory, will it be
>> resolved instead of the system GLES libraries?
> i ... don't know actually. i do know that evas_gl and egl are not an
> exact 1:1 match  and there are other things like NO swapbuffers so you
> structure code differently.
>
> you are best off restructuring the egl code and isolating it in a
> porting layer etc.
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter.

Thank you Carsten,

Ignoring the display layer for a moment, the underlying system is Linux,
I was going to bundle an Embedded JVM with the application (written in
Java) using JOGL - Java Open GL bindings.

Java has JNI which allows it to call C libraries and be invoked by C code.

It would be nice if Tizen supported Java as well, don't know if there
are any plans in future to do so?

Regards,

Peter.