[Dev] [Tizen General] Is DEP3 convention mandatory for Git commit in Tizen?

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Thu Nov 12 08:51:06 GMT 2015

Hi Philippe,

On 11.11.2015 18:37, Philippe Coval wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Leon Anavi <leon.anavi at konsulko.com
> <mailto:leon.anavi at konsulko.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi,
>
>     What are the rules for git commit messages in the Tizen repositories?
>
>     Is it mandatory to use the DEP3 convention? If so could you please
>     confirm that the format is Bug-Tizen: XXX where XXX is the key of
>     the bug in JIRA?
>
>     I noticed a requirement for DEP3 convention on slide 12 of
>     Philippe Coval's presentation from TDC2014:
>     http://download.tizen.org/misc/media/conference2014/slides/tdc2014-tizen-upstream-coop.pdf
>
>     There is nothing about DEP3 in the official article for "
>     Contributing Code to Tizen":
>     https://source.tizen.org/documentation/developer-guide/getting-started-guide/contributing-code-tizen
>
>     I didn't find a generic page for contribution guidelines at Tizen
>     wiki. There is a page about contributing to IVI:
>     https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/How_to_contribute_to_Tizen_IVI
>
>     In the same time I am trying to setup a page with the exact steps
>     for contributing code to meta-tizen and tizen-distro:
>     https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/How_to_contribute_to_Tizen_on_Yocto_Project
>
>     In my opinion it is vital to have the exact steps in Tizen wiki if
>     we want to attract more community contributors to the Tizen project.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Leon
>

> Hi Leon,
>
> AFAIK, It's not mandatory but it's pretty useful for maintainers who
> have to maintain patches
> upstream and downstream.

OK, I had a look at the recently open and merged changes in Gerrit. None
of the commit messages that I reviewed are following the DEP3 convention.

> Note this convention is coming for Debian and I thought this
> convention could be adopted here.

OK, as far as I understand the DEP3 convention is NOT mandatory for any
contributions to the Tizen Project.

It seems as a good idea to be adopted but I don't think this could
happen without enforcing it as commit-message format with a Git hook. I
see a huge amount of commits in Gerrit from Samsung employees who are
not active in the Tizen mailing lists. In my opinion it will be almost
impossible to get in touch with all of them and ask them to follow the
DEP3 convention if it is not enforced by a Git hook.

> Also, I encourage you to push also your patches on crosswalk upstream
> first
> and refer to it in your tizen-yocto changes...
>
> That way It will save time for other co-maintainers and can help to
> make tools that do your job :)
>
> Ask me if anything is unclear about upstream/downstream changes tracking

I am not familiar with Crosswalk and I have other tasks to do right now.
If any of the Crosswalk co-maintainers in the Tizen project are
interested in my patch please contact me and I will collaborate.

> If needed, I could write an other wiki page or just proposal based on
> my TDC14SF presentation...

Yes, we definitely need to improve the wiki. The contribution rules are
not clear. May be this is one of the main reasons for the small amount
of contributions from the community.

Best regards,
Leon

--