[Dev] [Tizen General] Is DEP3 convention mandatory for Git commit in Tizen?

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Mon Nov 16 09:53:55 GMT 2015

Hi Łukasz,

On 16.11.2015 10:55, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> It was <2015-11-12 czw 09:51>, when Leon Anavi wrote:
>> On 11.11.2015 18:37, Philippe Coval wrote:
>>> Note this convention is coming for Debian and I thought this
>>> convention could be adopted here.
>> OK, as far as I understand the DEP3 convention is NOT mandatory for
>> any contributions to the Tizen Project.
>>
>> It seems as a good idea to be adopted but I don't think this could
>> happen without enforcing it as commit-message format with a Git
>> hook. I see a huge amount of commits in Gerrit from Samsung employees
>> who are not active in the Tizen mailing lists. In my opinion it will
>> be almost impossible to get in touch with all of them and ask them to
>> follow the DEP3 convention if it is not enforced by a Git hook.
> Which DEP3 "footers" would you like to enforce? As far as I am concerned
> a different set of those is needed in different situations. With the
> most obvious empty set for commits crated by Tizen developers and
> commited to the tizen branch.

Honestly I cannot and furthermore I don't want to enforce anything :) I
just want to clarify the exact rules and the format of Git commit
messages for contributing to the Tizen Project. According to me it will
be great to have all this in an up to date Tizen wiki article and to
point new contributors to it.

> BTW. If I find a commit with an a commit message that I give the
> following comment and ask the author of the commit to correct the
> message.

> Please read the following pages and follow the guidelines for writing
> commit message contained therein.
>
> * http://bit.ly/goodcommitmessages
> * http://who-t.blogspot.com/2009/12/on-commit-messages.html
> * http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/
> * https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Talk:Packaging/Guidelines

Thank you! This will be a great addition to a Tizen wiki article :)

Best regards,
Leon

--
Leon Anavi