[Dev] tizen public api - java

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Tue Nov 17 02:07:19 GMT 2015

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 07:43:48 -0700
Mats Wichmann <mats at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/2015 05:44 PM, Peter wrote:
> > The libraries used by the jvm are:
> >
> > linux-gate.so.1
> > libdl.so2
> > libc.so.6
> > libm.so.6
> > libpthread.so.0
> > ld-linux.so.2
> >
> > With my investigation so far it's quite easy to embed the jvm in a
> > tizen ui application.
> >
> > The Elementary and app libraries are easy to work with using java
> > and c.
> >
> > The question now is, would an application that uses the above
> > libraries be accepted into the tizen store?
>
> that list at least looks harmless, it's just "libc" plus linux-gate is
> the virtual shared object from the kernel that appears in some
> implementations (I think some show it as linux-vdso, and not sure what
> tizen does here).
>
> unfortunately none of us can predict with high accuracy what's in the
> list of allowed interfaces.  there are some things you should not do
> that libc on the surface allows you to do (like launching another
> process via exec, you need to use the tizen app launching system
> instead) - so it might be a question what your jvm does internally.

this is currently an ongoing discussion that policies of tizen appstore
and sdk are counter-productive to developers. api's are locked down now
(literally apps banned if they use anything outside of it) and this is
causing a series of issues i am now seeing.

reality is though... any locking down of apis can be gotten past with
dlsym() and if that were to be banned.. compile into your binary your
own efl parser + linker to replace dl*(). tizen'd have to ban open and
mmap to stop this. even then you can do your own syscallls... so
syscalls would need to be banned directly... and well then... you may
as well not have apps then. :)

so right now my general advice to any development on tizen is - use
dlsym() to work around api issues. you at LEAST have to also handle the
failure case (it returns null). :)

the proper solution is to not be so developer-hostile to begin with.