[Dev] [IVI] Differences between open-ivi-core image and tizen-ivi-core image?

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Tue Oct 13 16:09:19 GMT 2015

Hi Peter,

On 13.10.2015 17:07, trungthu6688 at gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Leon,
>
> I like Tizen 3 IVI x86-64 fastboot image. It has all wifi usb, 3G
> modem driver, CSR bluetooth 4.0...
> However, I cannot connect 3G/LTE and wifi using connmanctl and ofonod.
Instructions how to connect to a WiFi using connmanctl are available at
Tizen wiki:
https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/IVI/ConnMan_Tips_%26_Tricks#Built-in_tool:_connmanctl

Connman is included in both Tizen:Common and Tizen IVI as well as in the
Yocto recipes for open-ivi-core and open-ivi-hmi.

> I like the traditional way to build linux (make menuconfig) rather
> than bitbake.

The recipes processed by bitbake use the traditional technologies to
build the source code. The advantage of Yocto/OE is that it allows
platform developers to easily customize and maintain embedded Linux
distributions for various hardware devices. Furthermore bitbake builds a
whole image in a few easy steps. Based on my experience Yocto/OE is the
best tool for this job at the moment.

> Do you have full document to configure drivers, modules, kernel mod...
> by bitbake way?

Yes, of course, please read the official documentation of the Yocto Project:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/mega-manual/mega-manual.html

> I want to build non-graphic image for IoT devices, how can I do?

Use the Tizen distribution for Yocto/OE and build an image without GUI
packages such as Wayland, Weston, Crosswalk.

Best regards,
Leon

> Thanks much!
> Peter Kieu
>
> Sent from my OS
>
> On Oct 13, 2015, at 4:27 PM, Leon Anavi <leon.anavi at konsulko.com
> <mailto:leon.anavi at konsulko.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> On 13.10.2015 12:13, RayBloodworth wrote:
>>>  Hi, Leon
>>>
>>>     I'm trying to build tizen-ivi image with yocto.
>>>     According to "https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/HummingBoard", the
>>> open-ivi-core image can be built.
>>>     Then I build tizen-ivi-core image according to
>>> "https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Building_Tizen_IVI_for_Freescale_i.MX6"
>>> and found some differences.
>>
>> This article is deprecated. Please stick to the instructions for
>> building Tizen 3 using Yocto/OE for Freescale i.MX6 provided here:
>> https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/HummingBoard#Building_Tizen:Common_with_Yocto
>>
>> If you are building Tizen for a device different from HummingBoard or
>> Cubox-i, please set the appropriate machine at conf/local.conf.
>>
>> You can also find useful information at my slides from Tizen
>> Developer Conference 2015:
>> http://www.slideshare.net/leonanavi/creating-new-tizen-profiles-using-the-yocto-project
>>
>>>     Could you give me any advices about differences between
>>> open-ivi-core image and tizen-ivi-core image?
>>
>> Yes, there are some differences. I created images open-ivi-core and
>> open-ivi-hmi as part of my work at Konsulko Group. Recipe
>> open-ivi-core extends Tizen:Common by adding some packages that we
>> need for IVI. Recipe open-ivi-hmi extends open-ivi-core and includes
>> HTML5 applications from the Automotive Grade Linux application suite.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Leon
>>

>>>      Thanks!
>>> BR,