[Dev] Keyboard issues with Weston and AGL application suite

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Mon Oct 19 09:44:04 GMT 2015

Hi Derek,

On 14.10.2015 23:37, Leon Anavi wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> On 14.10.2015 20:11, Derek Foreman wrote:
>> On 14/10/15 05:31 AM, Leon Anavi wrote:
>>> Hi Derek, All,
>>>
>>> Derek, I am experiencing similar issues with weston-keyboard as in your
>>> article "When is a Keyboard Not a Keyboard?" which has been
>>> published at
>>> Samsung OSG blog.
>>>
>>> Could you please provide me help how to get Weston 1.6 working with the
>>> virtual weston-keyboard in the HTML5 apps from the AGL app suite when
>>> hardware keyboard is not present?
>> Looks like a bug I fixed last December, actually:
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/commit/?id=f0aaa417
>>
>> Fairly small so it might be an easy forward port...
>
> Thank you for the provided feedback.
>
> I applied a patch with this bug fix to Weston 1.6 but I am still
> experiencing the same issue (as described in my previous email). It is
> a bit late here so I will continue debugging it tomorrow.

After further exploration of various log files I noticed that the issues
while running AGL app suite on Tizen with Crosswalk, Wayland and Weston
1.6 do not appear if an event from /dev/input is detected as a keyboard.
As a work around a colleague from Konsulko Group defined a GPIO as a key
at the device tree. This way the GPIO is detected by Weston as a keyboard:

[00:00:08.831] input device 'gpio-keys.22', /dev/input/event1 is a keyboard

The configuration of Weston is:

[input-method]
path=/usr/libexec/weston-keyboard

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=us

Derek, in this case we are using the behavior described in your article
"When is a Keyboard Not a Keyboard" for the work around. Please let me
know how can I help you find and fix the root cause of the problem as it
seems to be a Weston issue.

Best regards,
Leon

> Thanks,
> Leon
>

>> Hope that helps a bit,
>> Derek
>>
>>> In my case Weston keeps crashing when I type in HTML5 input fields from
>>> the AGL apps through the virtual weston-keyboard if no hardware
>>> keyboard
>>> is attached. I am working on a Tizen image that contains Wayland and
>>> Weston 1.6, Crosswalk 11.40.277.0 and libinput 0.6.0. Please have a
>>> look
>>> at my test cases for more details:
>>>
>>> * Test case 1, weston.ini:
>>>
>>> [input-method]
>>> path=/usr/libexec/weston-keyboard
>>>
>>> [keyboard]
>>> keymap_layout=wkb
>>>
>>> Results:
>>>
>>> 1.1. No hardware keyboard: FAIL
>>> Weston crashes when the user tries to launch Browser from the
>>> Homescreen
>>> app:
>>>
>>> [00:00:32.676] caught signal: 11
>>>
>>> 1.2. With hardware keyboard: FAIL
>>>
>>> Weston detects the hardware keyboard:
>>>
>>> [00:00:07.480] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event0 is a
>>> keyboard
>>> [00:00:07.481] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event1 is a
>>> keyboard
>>>
>>> Weston crashes when the user tries to launch Browser from the
>>> Homescreen
>>> app:
>>>
>>> [00:00:49.925] caught signal: 11
>>>

>>> * Test case 2, weston.ini:
>>>
>>> [input-method]
>>> path=
>>>
>>> [keyboard]
>>> keymap_layout=wkb
>>>
>>> Results:
>>> 2.1. No hardware keyboard: OK with remark - there is no virtual
>>> keyboard
>>> (as expected) so there is no way to type.
>>>
>>> 2.2. With hardware keyboard: FAIL
>>>
>>> Weston detects the hardware keyboard:
>>>
>>> [00:00:06.586] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event0 is a
>>> keyboard
>>> [00:00:06.587] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event1 is a
>>> keyboard
>>>
>>> Weston fails as soon as the user starts to type in HTML5 input field
>>> for
>>> URL at the Browser app through the hardware keyboard:
>>>
>>> [00:00:48.006] caught signal: 11
>>>
>>> * Test case 3, weston.ini:
>>>
>>> [input-method]
>>> path=/usr/libexec/weston-keyboard
>>>
>>> [keyboard]
>>> keymap_layout=us
>>>
>>> Results:
>>> 3.1. No hardware keyboard: FAIL
>>>
>>> Weston crashes when the user tries to launch Browser from the
>>> Homescreen
>>> app:
>>>
>>> [00:00:28.391] caught signal: 11
>>>
>>> 3.2. With hardware keyboard: OK
>>>
>>> Weston detects the hardware keyboard and both the hardware and virtual
>>> weston-keyboard work fine:
>>>
>>> [00:00:06.767] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event0 is a
>>> keyboard
>>> [00:00:06.771] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event1 is a

--
Leon Anavi
Software Engineer