[Dev] toolchain build error with Yocto

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Sun Sep 6 23:57:19 GMT 2015

Hi Mats,

On 7.09.2015 02:36, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 09/06/15 17:06, Leon Anavi wrote:
>> Hi Mats, Nara,
>>
>> On 7.09.2015 01:18, Mats Wichmann wrote:
>>> Your error message looks rather unexpected... I didn't think anything in
>>> the platform/sdk build tried to use smart, though I have no actual
>>> evidence that it doesn't.
>> The smart package manager has replaced zypper in the Yocto project since
>> release Dylan (1.4):
>> https://www.yoctoproject.org/blogs/khem/2013/get-smart-smart-package-manager
>>
>> As far as I know Tizen on Yocto, aka tizen-distro, contains meta-tizen
>> and several other meta layers, including  openembedded-core and
>> meta-openembedded which at the moment are based on release Dizzy (1.7)
>> of the Yocto Project. Therefore the smart package manager is used to
>> install packages into the image.
> You could be right, but I don't see any evidence of that. I don't think
> (and can be convinced otherwise) that the image construction uses any
> kind of package manager.

Package manager is used during the phase of image generation in the
Yocto Project work flow. Please have a look at the Yocto Project
documentation for details:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#image-generation-dev-environment

This is the patch from December 2012 that replaces zypper with the smart
package manager in Yocto/OpenEmbedded:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2012-December/071886.html

Variable ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE provides a direct evidence that the smart
package management is used during Tizen image generation using the Yocto
project:

$ bitbake tizen-common-core-image-crosswalk -e | grep ^ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE
ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE_BOOTSTRAP="run-postinsts"
ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE="rpm smartpm"

By the way the smart package manager is a convenient tool that can be
used for package installation at runtime, too. I have described how this
can be done at the wiki:
https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Runtime_package_management_in_Tizen_on_Yocto_with_Smart

Best regards,
Leon