[Dev] Request-4-Opinion: marking deactivated git repos

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Thu Dec 29 04:42:52 GMT 2016

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 04:29:28 +0000
MyungJoo Ham <myungjoo.ham at samsung.com> wrote:

what we do in enlightenment upstream is we literally rename "dead"
repositories. we also mark them clearly in description:

https://git.enlightenment.org/

look at "Legacy". we do this so code is available if someone wants to
dig through it, but it:

1. is clear by description and/or PATH to git repo that its legacy
(old/dead).
2. it will force good old build scripts to break - thus informing
whoever runs such tools by way of their build breaking that things have
moved/changed.

so i agree that it'd be good to rename and change descriptions when a
repository is abandoned. we should reduce the number of repos perhaps
in the process.