[Dev] Fwd: Re: Re: Tizen common profile porting on new h/w

Leon Anavi leon.anavi at konsulko.com
Thu Mar 10 07:29:35 GMT 2016

Hi Pintu,

It is great that you are interested in the porting Tizen to new devices.
Please have a look at my comments below.

On 10.03.2016 05:31, PINTU KUMAR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to port Tizen platform in one of the ARM based open hardware such as BeagleBone, Raspberry Pi.
> So, I thought, I will start with the Tizen 3.0 common profile and create my own custom profile.
As you have already seen Tizen 3.0 Common has been already ported to
Raspberry Pi using the Yocto Project. You can try porting Tizen 3.0
Micro or Common to BeagleBone using meta-ti:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/

On 10.03.2016 05:31, PINTU KUMAR wrote:
> So, I thought, I will start with the Tizen 3.0 common profile and create my own custom profile.

My presentation from Tizen Developer Conference 2015 provides guidelines
how to create custom Tizen profile using the Yocto Project:
http://www.slideshare.net/leonanavi/creating-new-tizen-profiles-using-the-yocto-project

On 10.03.2016 07:46, PINTU KUMAR wrote:
> Samsung Enterprise Portal mySingle
>
> Dear Mr. Inki-Dae,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> Yes, I am already aware about Tizen Yocto image for raspberry pi. I
> have already tried it and I can boot successfully till the
> desktop/display screen.
>
> Due to the firewall restrictions (and PC space limits), I cannot build
> the Yocto image.

There are two build systems for Tizen 3.0 profiles: Git Build System
(GBS) and Yocto / Openembedded. Both require a lot of disk space and
powerful hardware of the build machine. Unfortunately you can not port
Tizen properly if you are not using  any of the build systems.

> So, I tried with the pre-build images, but, I am not getting any
> output on the virtual terminal by connecting an HDMI to my computer
> monitor (tty1).
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have a serial UART cable right now (for
> raspberry pi), so I haven't tried it yet using UART.

Have you tried the pre-build images for Raspberry Pi? They are available
here:
https://files.s-osg.org/tizen-on-rpi2/

Several months ago I have tried the pre-build Tizen Common image for
Raspberry Pi 2 and it booted fine.

> Also, at this moment, I don't want the graphical display (for my use
> case), so I just want to drop it to console and execute some commands.
>
> Moreover, I wanted to start things from scratch using the existing
> Tizen images either from common profile or others.
>
> Please let me know which image to choose.
>
> Also, let me know, how to enable virtual console on Tizen (using systemd?)

If you are not interested in the graphical user interface I recommend
you to use Tizen Micro profile. It was been already ported for Raspberry
Pi. In general porting Micro to new h/w is easier than Common as it does
not have GUI and you will not need to enable Wayland/Weston. You can
build Tizen Micro using the Yocto project. More information about Tizen
Micro is available here:
https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Tizen_Micro

Best regards, Leon