[Dev] SDL support on Tizen

Jean-Philippe André jpeg at videolan.org
Wed May 25 12:47:45 GMT 2016

Hello,

On 25 May 2016 at 19:49, 신현주 <hyunjushin at samsung.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I would like to propose using SDL 2.0 (Simple DirectMedia Layer) as Tizen
> porting layer for game/game engines.
>
> Currently, Evas_GL is the only available interface to use OpenGL ES on
> Tizen.
>
> Though Evas_GL is simple and efficient interface for EFL widget based
> applications to access openGL ES,
>
> to attract more game/engine developer community towards Tizen, it should
> support even more widely adopted cross-platform interface.
>

> I think SDL 2.0 is definitely a good candidate in this respect.
>

> * Major Benefits include
>
> -  Provides direct access to OpenGL ES API without any wrapper (fast)
>
> -  Uses platform independent Window & Event handling API (portability)
>
> -  Vulkan interface can be provided easily compare to Evas_Vulkan. (Evas
> vulkan backend is not yet ready)
>

> * Possible Constraint is
>
> -  Increases verification scope for tizen release
>

> Do you see any other benefit or Constraint?
>

> Please share your opinions about this.

For those who don't know, I've been heavily involved in Evas GL maintenance.

I believe SDL2 would be a great alternative. This will probably mean some
extra work to make it work great on Tizen.
Evas Vulkan backend and Evas Vulkan abstraction API (if we need one) are
not being worked on yet, as far as I can tell from EFL upstream.

The main issue I see is that if we use SDL2, then we can not use EFL as
well. A choice will have to be made (at least for each window of an
application).

--
Jean-Philippe André