[Dev] WG: RE: Antwort: Re: Privilege Platform

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Thu Oct 27 07:54:13 GMT 2016

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:19:28 +0000
김보곤 <bogon82.kim at samsung.com> wrote:

> Samsung Enterprise Portal mySingle
>
> Hello,
>

> Sideloading, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideloading) which means
> to install packages not comming from tizen store is not allowed
> because of security reason.
>
> So there is no such way to do it.

"security reason". A very poor excuse. I'm sorry but this policy is an
excuse to just make life HARD for developers. Just because some
organizations love to retain total control over their products even
after sale, does not make it a good or nice thing to do.

The real issue here is to retain total control. Anything else is an
excuse. I'm being realistic. Someone has to stand up for users and
developers and their freedoms and rights, and in my experience almost no
one does. Even if anyone does, it's always fobbed off as a "security
issue".

A message to users: You need to make your voices heard. No one will
change anything at all unless you stand up and effectively revolt and
protest. The mindset is one of "But this is for your own good!
Security! We are being so nice to you!". Unless you all love things
this way... you need to say something very loudly and clearly because
the very few who will stick up for you will not be listened to.

If someone enables "allow untrusted installs" or similar, then goes and
installs something ... this is not a security issue. They are WILLINGLY
and KNOWINGLY installing software on THEIR device THEY own and THEY
bought. They are not accidentally clicking a link on a a website and
then suddenly having an app installed they didn't know would be.

Imagine this. You buy a house or an apartment. You spend a large amount
of money on it. You then want to move in. The person/company you bought
the apartment or house from, or the bank you borrowed money from says
"Oh no. You can ONLY buy furniture from OUR company store because of
security reasons. You can't move your existing furniture in, or buy
used furniture from your friend. It's a security reason!"

What would your response be? That is EXACTLY what we are doing here.
Treating users as a liability even if they have chosen a path of
possible risk. How DARE someone have the freedom to buy ANY furniture
they like and place it in the home THEY bought and paid for? It could
be a security issue! The furniture may be bugged and listen to
conversations! It may accidentally catch fire on its own! We must
protect those innocent customers from their own bad decisions!It's true
that a lot of people will do bad and risky things, but punishing
EVERYONE is pretty arrogant. Yes, I know you can get permission with a
personal certificate so just YOU can install signed apps that YOU sign
on YOUR device. Imagine you needed permission from the people you
bought your house from to get a special sticker that allowed to you
bring furniture into your own home you already paid for? It's
insulting.

Think about it. Put yourself in someone else's shoes. Imagine you
actually had to use Tizen every day and you were developing software
for it and were asking friends and family to try it out before
uploading to a store? Imagine you just wanted to share it with your
colleagues and never publish it? ... Think about it.