[Tizen General] Samsung to merge Bada and Tizen

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) tizen at rasterman.com
Tue Jan 17 03:24:11 GMT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:36:58 +0100 Christopher Intemann <intemann at gmail.com>
said:

> I came across this news and I wonder if it is true:
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabethwoyke/2012/01/13/samsung-merging-its-bada-os-with-intel-backed-tizen-project/
>
> As we all know, the Bada platform is quite restrict especially regardings
> software development and installation.
> Will future Bada/Tizen phones be able to install full featured rpm-Apps?
> Regards,

i guess i'll chime in here as i have some idea of what's going on, and it seems
that mr kang has decided to talk of it. let me just say that  internally it's
still all very nebulous and frankly details may change, so there isn't much to
say at the moment.

this is an exercise in bringing the bada application developer API to tizen.
that means that bada apps (once recompiled) will "just work". on a technical
level that means they open a window like all regular tizen/linux apps. they get
managed and composited like all "tizen apps". they talk to the tizen telephony
stack and other subsystems. so it's basically adding a toolkit to tizen. the
bada c++ api stack. that will sit on top of libraries/daemons/services in tizen.

this buys some crucially good/important things. an existing mobile app
developer ecosystem with i think last i heard 20,000 apps or so. and it
gives bada a solid lower level linux os with proper process management etc.

don't read ANYTHING more into it than this. it's really brining an extra api
that's already in use on millions of handsets. it's EXTRA. it's still nebulous
and unclear. it's what has been a competing team inside samsung now playing
together with, not against tizen.

--
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <tizen at rasterman.com>