[Tizen General] Why not use tags to mark releases rather than the manifest file?

VanCutsem, Geoffroy geoffroy.vancutsem at intel.com
Fri Sep 13 07:32:31 GMT 2013

I'll let Sasha provide more details but from what I can see we are actually already using tags and commit IDs. The manifest files that are published along with the images (i.e. *not* the ones coming from review.tizen.org:/scm/manifest) do contain a list of all Git repos for each package and both the tag and commit ID that made it into that particular image. It's not 100% there yet (see previous mails sent to the mailing list on the subject) but that's the idea anyway.

Example (taken from http://download.tizen.org/releases/milestone/tizen/ivi/latest/images/ivi-release-mbr-i586/tizen_20130829.9-ivi-release-mbr-i586.manifest.xml):
<project name="profile/ivi/automotive-message-broker" path="profile/ivi/automotive-message-broker" revision="submit/tizen/20130823.193320-0-gdf7c1e67ccb49257bd88e771462c70fef060d5fd"/>

In this example:
- "submit/tizen/20130823.193320" is the tag
- "df7c1e67ccb49257bd88e771462c70fef060d5fd" is the commit ID

When you initialize and then sync your dev machine using the repo tool and such manifest file, it should check out the right branch/tag/commit ID for you so you'd be building the right version of the sources.

> And yes, I do see why you do not want to use SRPMs as Joel suggested.
> Git trees with the history and the right commit ID for the release is just a lot
> more usable than SRPMs. It is easier to check the code then, do 'git log -p' or
> 'git blame', quickly hack the code and commit, etc.
>
> I personally really do not consider SRPMs to be useful for anything. For me
> SRPM is just a temporary thing between the git repo and the RPM.

+1
Intel Corporation NV/SA
Kings Square, Veldkant 31
2550 Kontich
RPM (Bruxelles) 0415.497.718.
Citibank, Brussels, account 570/1031255/09