[Tizen General] Why not use tags to mark releases rather than the manifest file?

Artem Bityutskiy artem.bityutskiy at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 13 07:53:22 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 07:32 +0000, VanCutsem, Geoffroy wrote:
> > But I believe it is not easy to tag all the repos, and then make
> sure individual
> > package maintainers do not accidentally remove the tag, or change
> it.
> > Commit ID's are more persistent. Tagging is less reliable.
>
> I'll let Sasha provide more details but from what I can see we are
> actually already using tags and commit IDs. The manifest files that
> are published along with the images (i.e. *not* the ones coming from
> review.tizen.org:/scm/manifest) do contain a list of all Git repos for
> each package and both the tag and commit ID that made it into that
> particular image. It's not 100% there yet (see previous mails sent to
> the mailing list on the subject) but that's the idea anyway.
>
> Example (taken from
> http://download.tizen.org/releases/milestone/tizen/ivi/latest/images/ivi-release-mbr-i586/tizen_20130829.9-ivi-release-mbr-i586.manifest.xml):
> <project name="profile/ivi/automotive-message-broker"
> path="profile/ivi/automotive-message-broker"
> revision="submit/tizen/20130823.193320-0-gdf7c1e67ccb49257bd88e771462c70fef060d5fd"/>

Ah, right, and as long as no one deletes the tag, the commit ID won't be
GC'ed.

> In this example:
> - "submit/tizen/20130823.193320" is the tag
> - "df7c1e67ccb49257bd88e771462c70fef060d5fd" is the commit ID

Yes, although I thought Paul was asking for something a bit different.
He thought that he would like to have tags with the same human-readable
names in all repos. Like "tizen-3.0-m1" in each and every repository
involved into the 3.0 M1 release. I think this would be nice to have,
but I am not sure how easy would that be to implement.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy