[Tizen General] Why not use tags to mark releases rather than the manifest file?

Hanchett, Paul phanchet at jaguarlandrover.com
Fri Sep 13 15:25:28 GMT 2013

*Yes, although I thought Paul was asking for something a bit different.
He thought that he would like to have tags with the same human-readable
names in all repos. Like "tizen-3.0-m1" in each and every repository
involved into the 3.0 M1 release. I think this would be nice to have,
but I am not sure how easy would that be to implement.*

Yes, that is sort of what I was wondering about.  I can see that commit
ID's are immutable where Tags might not be.  As a developer working on and
debugging code, to be able to see milestones in the repository can be
quite useful.

Mainly I was just trying to understand why things work the way they do (why
else become an engineer?  [?])

Re needing to rework the tools-- Can't you use a tag anyplace you might use
a branch?  If so, the only issue would be setting tags in subordinate
repositories--that should be pretty easy to do if you're just snapshotting
the code base; then you can adjust individual tags as needed.  (Just
sayin')

I also know it's absurdly easy to come along after the fact and ask "Why
didn't you design it this other way?"  I want to focus on *improving* the
process, not creating controversy!

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Hanchett
Infotainment Engineer
MSX on behalf of Jaguar Land Rover
One World Trade Center, 121 Southwest Salmon Street, 11th Floor, Portland,
Oregon, 97204

Email: phanchet at jaguarlandrover.com

Business Details:
Jaguar Land Rover Limited