[Tizen General] Tizen platform development tools survey : dropping 32bit linux support

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Wed Sep 18 17:37:19 GMT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Zhang, Qiang Z <qiang.z.zhang at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Developers,
>
> This is a simple survey about how many developers still want to use 32bit
> Linux for development.
>
> Currently, platform development tools(gbs/mic) support 32bit/64bit on the
> following 9 distributions:
>
> * Ubuntu 13.04
> * Ubuntu 12.10
> * Ubuntu 12.04
> * openSUSE 12.3
> * openSUSE 12.2
> * openSUSE 12.1
> * Fedora 19
> * Fedora 18
> * CentOS 6
>
> 32bit qemu does not works well while building special packages, such as
> eglibc. Besides this, the maintenance and testing for each platform is a
> very time consuming work, so if we drop the possible seldom used 32bit
> platforms' support, the update of tools will be much more agile.
>
> As Tizen will support 64bit build in the future, which can only be built by
> using 64bit system, so it's recommended to switch to 64bit system ASAP.
>
> Now we will do the survey before our final decision.
>
> Survey page:
> http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/xiaoqiang/tizen-platform-development-tools-survey/
>
> We will collect the survey and send out it, which is the basis for our
> decision to dropping 32bit Linux support

I'm opposed to this.

64bit support in Tizen is not yet mainstream at all, as a matter of
fact it's barely been implemented in 3.0, and no major release that
developers can use yet has happened.

Can we maintain 32bit code until most developers have had a major
release on 64bit? It will be a significant amount of time until that
really happens.

Auke