[Tizen General] Tizen platform development tools survey : dropping 32bit linux support

Leon Anavi leon at anavi.org
Mon Sep 23 05:28:06 GMT 2013

Hi Daniel, Carsten, All,

On 2013-09-23 03:46, Daniel Juyung Seo wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Carsten Haitzler
>> imagine if all the engineers and executives etc. at bmw drove fords
>> because
>> "bmw's can't manage to get us to the office without breaking down".
>
> Awesome analogy.
>
> I am also against dropping 32 bit system support for dev tools.
>
> I bet many people I know use 32 bit system yet.

The example with the cars is nice but I don't think it's very
appropriate. In my opinion it is fine to drop 32-bit support although I
still keep 32-bit distributions on some of my older computers.

Today nobody uses 16-bit OS for development of Tizen and in long term I
don't expect anybody to be using 32-bit. So dropping 32-bit support is
just a matter of time. Almost all of the CPU for personal computers
produced in the last 5 years are with 64-bit instruction sets. The
majority of developers (including me) that still have 32-bit OS on some
computers actually have a compatible 64-bit hardware and just have to
replace the OS and the dev environment with a 64-bit version.

Best regards,
Leon

--
http://anavi.org/