[Tizen General] Next developer device

jezra jezra at jezra.net
Tue Aug 19 22:30:33 GMT 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:00:49 -0700
Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> > > A tablet with Tizen Common would make little sense. There isn't
> > > much you can do with Tizen Common except develop more Tizen.
> > > People would be a little frustrated that they'd boot their
> > > devices to the X checkerboard-and-pointer screen.
> > >
> > > Also, we don't have a Tablet profile. We could consider it to be
> > > "large mobile" but the UX might not be right. More to the point:
> > > until one of the Tizen member companies is considering doing a
> > > Tizen tablet, there's no point in giving tablets to developers:
> > > their designs and solutions would not match the desired device
> > > type.
> >
> > Why couldn't the tablet have the Tizen 3 Gnome UI?
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1v56cmzKI
>
> There's no GNOME UI that we're working on. The community is free to
> work on it and provide packages, as well as install it on devices you
> can get your hands on, but please don't expect any of the involved
> companies to provide you with a device running a UI that is not a
> Tizen target.
>
> That also includes "tablet" at all: no one is working on a tablet (as
> far as I know), so don't expect anyone to provide tablets.
>
> > In regards to a mobile device for developers, why not offer a
> > device that is an actual usable phone that developers will use
> > daily? It is more likely that a developer will "scratch the itch"
> > for a usable device that is in their pocket than they will for a
> > device that sits on the shelf.
>
> I agree. There were reasons for which the previous reference devices
> were not full phones -- including lack of FCC certification, for
> example. I'm hoping that future devices will be.
>
> But maybe the next type of reference devices won't be phones at all.
> Wouldn't you want to have something that is close to the wearable
> profile or to the TV one? Since there's also some emphasis growing on
> IoT, maybe the next one will even be headless...
>
> I don't know yet. I will pass along the suggestions and we'll let you
> know soon when new reference devices are available.

This is all just my opinion, so take it with a very large grain of salt.

Unless Tizen Mobile is being abandoned, the next reference device
should be a functional mobile device that will actually get used on a
daily basis. Functional, daily use devices are what keep developers
interested and paying attention to a platform. This is probably why
Google gives developers functional devices at the Google IO (and quite
a few of those devices are from Samsung).