[Tizen General] Next developer device

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) tizen at rasterman.com
Tue Aug 19 23:50:38 GMT 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:06:28 -0700 jezra <jezra at jezra.net> said:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 08:44:40 -0700
> Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 19 August 2014 08:20:28 Olivier Nyssen wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I would like to make a suggestion for the next developer device:
> > > a Samsung tablet with an Intel Atom CPU would a nice symbol of the
> > > Tizen project.
> > > Tizen Common with Samsung's SAP and OSP would be a great OS imo
> >
> > Hi Olivier
> >
> > A tablet with Tizen Common would make little sense. There isn't much
> > you can do with Tizen Common except develop more Tizen. People would
> > be a little frustrated that they'd boot their devices to the X
> > checkerboard-and-pointer screen.
> >
> > Also, we don't have a Tablet profile. We could consider it to be
> > "large mobile" but the UX might not be right. More to the point:
> > until one of the Tizen member companies is considering doing a Tizen
> > tablet, there's no point in giving tablets to developers: their
> > designs and solutions would not match the desired device type.
> >

> Why couldn't the tablet have the Tizen 3 Gnome UI?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1v56cmzKI

unless you're willing to do a lot of work on gnome to support things like:

rotation protocols/hints between wm and clients
indicator services (with shm + protocol)
vkbd support (with all the extensions on scim we have added etc.)
and more...

gnome isn't viable as it'd be nothing like tizen.

> In regards to a mobile device for developers, why not offer a
> device that is an actual usable phone that developers will use daily?
> It is more likely that a developer will "scratch the itch" for a usable
> device that is in their pocket than they will for a device that sits on
> the shelf.

i wish we did. i have been yelling/grumbling/complaining/writing emails and
more to people for years. since before tizen 1.0 even was out. it hasn't been
done. it should have been the first thing we did at tizen 1.0 - a reference
phone that you can buy and use. updated every year or so to stay representative
of what hardware is at today. it has nothing to do with making money and all to
do with seeding ecosystem. but hey - no one is doing this, or has done it for
years, so what do you think the chances are of someone doing this now all of a
sudden is when even the insiders can't get any movement on it?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <tizen at rasterman.com>