[Tizen General] Next developer device

Leon Anavi leon at anavi.org
Wed Aug 20 06:57:33 GMT 2014

Hi All,

I do not think that there a need for any company participating in the
Tizen Association to provide free Tizen tablets to developers right now.
There a lot of existing tablets on the market which are compatible with
Tizen.

I have been experimenting with the open-source hardware development
boards of Olimex with Allwinner SoC and recently I bought a cheap tablet
with Allwinner A20 dual-core ARM CPU and Mali 400 GPU. I was able to
boot Tizen:Common image on it. The touchscreen was not working but it is
a proof of the concept for a low budget Tizen tablet.

There are millions of tablets with Allwinner SoC on the market. You can
buy such tablet for less than $100. These tablets are shipped with
Android but Tizen can be booted from microSD card without affecting the
original Android image so as a result you will get a dual-boot tablet.

I totally agree with Thiago that a tablet with Tizen:Common will not be
attractive for end consumers. In the same time such a tablet can be
still useful in certain cases:
* Developers will be interested in having a real Tizen device for Tizen
application development and debugging.
* Universities can work with the device in course related to operating
systems. I already had a contact with a couple of universities
interested in Tizen-sunxi because of this.
* Embedded developers and freelancers might be interested in a working
cheap device with screen and a decent case that they can easily
integrate in small projects for home automation or other IoT fields. The
popular existing Android and Debian images for Sunxi devices are not
that good for this and Tizen:Common can fit the gap.

As a community we are not that far from offering Tizen:Common images for
Sunxi devices (aka devices with Allwinner SoC). There are 3 key issues
that we should solve:
1. A Linux-sunxi kernel (forked from the Linux kernel) 3.10 or newer to
support the smack requirements in Tizen:Common.
2. A working Mali driver of Tizen and Suxni devices.
3. Support of Crosswalk (right now it is not working because of the
issue with Mali drivers)

If these three issues are solved it should be possible to boot
Tizen:Common on OLinuXino, CubieBoard, Banana Pi and to deploy Tizen web
applications on them directly from Tizen IDE and/or SDB.

Thanks,
Leon

--
http://anavi.org/