[Tizen General] The Tizen Project is broken. We will be spending some time apart.

Bob Summerwill bob at summerwill.net
Fri Aug 22 17:00:21 GMT 2014


The fact that there has been NO REPLY whatsoever to this mail a week later
speaks volumes about the state of the Tizen Project.

I've been watching various recorded presentations from LinuxCon in the last
couple of days.   LinuxCon is organized by the Linux Foundation, but I've
seen no mention whatsoever of Tizen at the conference.   Brian Warner is
there.

Imad Sousou is there and was meant to be giving a keynote, but had to drop
out because of family issues.


http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/200-libby-clark/780420-imad-sousou-the-future-of-linux-and-intel-in-the-new-connected-world

Dirk Hohndel spoke instead.   Here's the presentation he gave:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5I8jcI0sw&list=UUfX55Sx5hEFjoC3cNs6mCUQ

No mention of Tizen for IoT.   Indeed I have heard no whisper of anything
related to Tizen IoT since the Tizen Developer Conference keynote.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/application-development/spurned-smartphones-tizen-seeks-role-in-internet-of-things-243687

"The Operating System of Everything" is not living up to that ambition.
It is very sad to see.    I was very optimistic at the Tizen Developer
Conference, only two months ago.     Things just have to change.    This is
not a healthy community.

The cognitive dissonance between the STATED governance for Tizen and the
reality is bad enough on its own.     The lack of open communication on top
of that is the nail in the coffin.

http://www.slideshare.net/badaindonesia/tizen-development-and-governance-model-tds-20131111

Please could somebody in a position of influence within the Tizen Project
make at least some response?    Brian, perhaps, or better yet Imad or JD.
If nothing else, surely you guys would want to defend your project?    Or
are things so hopeless that there is nothing left to defend?


Cheers,
Bob


On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 4:19 AM, Bob Summerwill <bob at summerwill.net> wrote:

> I'm very sad to have to say this, but the Tizen Project is broken, and
> we're going to be spending some time apart. It makes no sense for Kitsilano
> Software to spend any more time or money on building MonoTizen at the
> current time.
>
> The Tizen OS has got amazing, world-changing potential, but the
> organization and communication on the project as a whole is terribly
> broken. I could publish a long laundry list of specific issues and there
> are many. I would be happy to have a more detailed discussion with anybody
> who would like to listen and who has any ability to change things.
>
> For now though, I'll keep the feedback really simple.
>
> For collaborative projects to work you need trust between partners, you
> need to do what you say you are going to do and you need lots of open
> communication.
>
> There is no public roadmap for Tizen mobile, the most important profile.
> Despite devices being promised on multiple occasions there are still no
> devices. The Unpacked event in Moscow was cancelled with 48 hours notice
> and no reason given. There was no further public statement for another
> week, and then that statement was just saying that there was no future
> roadmap. I have no idea what is going to happen in the Tizen project
> tomorrow, let alone next week, next month or next quarter, because there is
> no public information.
>
> No third parties can build a business with no public roadmap. It should be
> no surprise that the ecosystem is not where we would all like it to be. It
> makes no business sense for third-parties to engage given all the
> uncertainty.
>
> The worst thing about the apparent cancellation/delay of the Samsung Z
> phone is that the release of that phone would have given the whole Tizen
> eco-system something to anchor on.
>
> 100% revenue share is a great draw, but 100% of $0 is still $0.
>
> We need devices and fast.
>
> I really enjoyed myself at the Tizen Developer Conference, and I would
> like to publicly thank everyone who has helped me get started with Tizen,
> and welcomed me into the (very small) community. I hope to be back in the
> future, but for now we are going to spend some time apart.
>
> I really hope that the Tizen Project can change, and can work in the
> spirit which the governance changes for Tizen 3.0 indicated was planned.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob Summerwill
> Kitsilano Software
>
> --
> bob at summerwill.net
>
>


-- 
bob at summerwill.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.tizen.org/pipermail/general/attachments/20140822/b9649284/attachment.html>


More information about the General mailing list