[Tizen General] Booting Tizen:Common on Radxa Rock with Rockchip RK3188

Leon Anavi leon at anavi.org
Thu Nov 6 23:48:47 GMT 2014

Hi,

I am happy to announce that I was able to boot Tizen:Common from microSD
card on another open-source hardware development board: Radxa Rock.

The board has Rockchip RK3188 SoC that includes ARM Cortex-A9 quad core
@ 1.6Ghz CPU and a Mali400-mp4 GPU. It has 2GB DDR3 RAM and 8GB internal
storage. A year ago I got an early engineering sample of the board
through Ash Nazir because of my contributions to his web sites Tizen
Experts and Mobile Linux News.

I have combined an Ubuntu image for RK3188 (provided by linuxium) with
Linux-rockchip kernel 3.0.36+ and the Tizen:Common rootfs that has been
used at the latest Tizen-sunxi image. The bootloader is proprietary and
it is provided as a blob from Rockchip.

In order to get Tizen:Common working on Radxa Rock I had to edit
/etc/fstab and to remove the instructions for mounting /boot, to build
kernel modules from scratch and to place them alongside with the
firmware files on the microSD card.

The image boots on the board and I am able to log in a console through
UART cable but the display is not working. The boot log is available
here:
https://gist.github.com/leon-anavi/e0de25e1123101deff12

I have created this image as a proof of concept that Tizen:Common can be
booted on this board. In my spare time I will read more information
about the Rockchip bootloader (or U-Boot which seems to be an
alternative for this board too) and eventually I may try to build better
image for Radxa Rock from scratch.

Best regards,
Leon

--