[Tizen General] Chrome OS

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) tizen at rasterman.com
Tue Jun 16 09:24:46 GMT 2015

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:44:31 +0300 Leon Anavi <leon.anavi at konsulko.com> said:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On 16.06.2015 07:56, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > in generally i think having a tizen "desktop ui" would be immensely positive
> > for tizen.
> >
> > 1. it'd force the above things to be fixed and done properly.
> > 2. it'd open up the possibility to make chromebook/netbook like products
> > with tizen
> > 3. the biggest bonus - it'd make tizen a productivity-capable os. you can do
> > office work but more importantly you could use it as a development rig -
> > develop tizen apps for tizen ON tizen (or do development work on tizen
> > itself... using tizen). this is truly eating your own dog food. this is not
> > something we have done to date (imho that is a real shame).
>
> +1
>
> I share the same personal opinion. Couple of years ago at TDC there was
> a demo of something similar: Tizen with GNOME 3 running on a laptop with
> Intel CPU: https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Tizen_PC
>
> May be our community needs to revive the Tizen PC project.

or just make tizen common "generally useful". i would push against a tizen pc
profile and leave that to "one day is someone wants to do actual pc-like
products".

instead make tizen common as much of a superset of profiles as possible. when
used as a "desktop" (chromebook/netbook/laptop too), then it functions as one
with that ui, but could switch to another ui style at any point (runtime?
perhaps even decide on a screen by screen basis what mode/style is runs, eg
have a touchscreen on the device that is in mobile mode and externally plugged
in monitors run in "desktop" mode and if you plug in a bug 40"+ tv it goes into
tv mode on those screens).

this way tizen common doesn't have issues having to "conform" to some profile
and standard. we can modify it as needed to achieve general usefulness. use it
as a place to perhaps fix up ideas or merge things from multiple profiles that
duplicate effort.

--
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <tizen at rasterman.com>