[Tizen General] Tizen Community pages

Bob Summerwill bob at summerwill.net
Mon Jun 22 06:27:28 GMT 2015

I would like to propose that we take Brian Warner's move from the Linux
Foundation to Samsung as the signal for reconsidering the Tizen Project as
a whole.

** The Emperor has no clothes. **

The current "Tizen community" setup is transparently "community threater"
rather than being a real community model.   The web forums are pointless
ghost-towns.   Even the mailing lists usually yield little in the way of
useful engagement.

The root cause of this is obvious, though unspeakable expect to the
brave/stupid few like myself who are not dependent on Samsung financially.
  Tizen is now a Samsung project in every way which is meaningful.   The
Linux Foundation have little role.   The Tizen Association are now almost
entirely indistinguishable from Samsung.

Intel have delivered on what was seemingly a contractual obligation to ship
Tizen IVI 3.0, by paying Eurogicial to do that work, and now have seemingly
existed stage left.   Will they ever announce that they are no longer
working on Tizen?   Maybe in months and months time, or maybe never.   I
doubt they will want to be publicly seen as dumping a Mobile Linux project
AGAIN after MeeGo, but that appears to be exactly what they have done.
 Tizen didn't work out the way they wanted.   Nobody seems to have any
interest in x86 chips for mobile, and they can get x86 sales for IoT
without Tizen, so what is left for them in Tizen?   Nothing.

So Tizen is in a shambles in terms of the "official plan".   It has been
operating in a state of little integrity for a long, long time, as I first
noted back in August 2014 -
https://kitsilanosoftware.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/the-tizen-project-is-broken-we-will-be-spending-some-time-apart-3/
- to no official response.    When your Open Source project cannot even be
bothered to muster an official response to somebody stating publicly that
your project is "Broken", I think that speaks volumes in itself.    Almost
on the same day that I was persuaded to have Kitsilano Software join the
Tizen Association (
https://kitsilanosoftware.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/kitsilano-software-joins-the-tizen-association/),
the Tizen Project yet again kicked the community in the teeth with the
silent murder of OSP between 2.3 Alpha and 2.3 Beta, showing complete
contempt for semantic versioning and for partners and the community, by
breaking all existing native apps.

The unspeakable root cause of all of this is that Samsung run the Tizen
show from behind closed doors.   The promise of Tizen open governance which
was announced in December 2013 (so, a full 19 months ago) -
http://www.slideshare.net/SamsungOSG/tizen-open-governance-model - is still
just that.   A promise.   Because the open governance was always ONLY for
Tizen 3.x, not for the ongoing work on Tizen 2.x which is 100% of the
commercially relevant life of the Tizen platform.   Everything which is a
real commercial Tizen product has been made by Samsung.   All of them are
on Tizen 2.x - even the forthcoming Gear A smartwatch.   There is effort
being applied by Samsung developers on Tizen 3.x profiles, but even now,
there is no public commitment or timelines for Tizen 3.x product to be
shipped by Samsung.

Again, the unspeakable but obvious solution to all of this is very simple.
  To speak the truth.   Tizen is OBVIOUSLY a Samsung project.   Perhaps
that wasn't the original plan.   We all wanted this to be a collaborative
project with many sponsors, spanning hardware manufacturers, telcos,
software companies, etc.   Like desktop Linux.    That didn't work out, and
now it is effectively just SLP again.   Even the Bada part got killed.
 That is fine.   Let's call it like it is.    SLP is not a bad thing.

So we're now in a position where Tizen is really just SLP again.   It's a
Samsung Linux project, working in a manner which is nearly identical to
Android.   Samsung does all the work behind closed doors, and does source
drops at release points.   You can take those releases and fork them and do
what you want, but that's about it.    Even that didn't used to be possible
for Tizen when it was under Flora licensing, but everything useful in Tizen
is Apache licensed too now, so that is now possible.   RzR and Leon and
others are showing the value in Tizen with their baseboard projects, though
that is against the Tizen 3.0 zombie codebase.

Tizen doesn't have to be a Linux Foundation project to be valuable.
Samsung are driving.   That is fine.   They should remove the project from
the Linux Foundation and run it themselves, through the Samsung Open Source
Center.   I hope that is the plan, and that is why Brian is moving to
Samsung.   With Brian at Samsung, a real Tizen community can be built with
that project/community interface rightly being at Samsung, rather than in
the weird Linux Foundation / Tizen Association / Tizen Steering Group /
Samsung / Intel soup which has been the official line to this point.

Tizen needs to just be a Samsung open source project.    If Samsung are
lacking in integrity then it will continue to be developed on the Tizen 2.x
codeline forever (behind the castle walls), so that Samsung can avoid the
open governance which was promised 19 months ago while saying that they
never broken any promises because that governance was only for Tizen 3.x
and they are not shipping any Tizen 3.x products.     If Samsung really
want Tizen to be anything other than "Samsung's Android" then they will
switch to that open governance model for Tizen 2.x, or start shipping
products based on Tizen 3.x.   Like Smart TVs for 2016, and for the next
Gear after Gear A, and for the Z2/Z3 mobile, etc.    Or, if there is a long
lead time for that switchover then to actually announce their plans for
that switchover.

So ... that would be my plea and recommendation.    Please can the Tizen
leadership start speaking the truth?   Please can we all be honest and
acknowledge that Tizen is a Samsung project?   No more, no less.   Maybe
that wasn't the original plan, but it is a reality, and has been for many
months or even years.   The Linux Foundation needs to disengage.   The
Tizen Association needs to die.    The Tizen Steering Committee needs to be
disbanded.    Samsung needs to be responsible for community engagement.
Samsung needs to either honestly stand behind the less-than-ideal
development model of behind closed doors development followed by source
drops - just as Google does for Android - or commit to open governance for
Tizen and actually do that.    The Tizen 3.x codebase needs to be embraced
by Samsung or killed.

I am outside of the Tizen Project, but this reality is as clear as day to
me.   The cognitive dissonance has been jarring to me for nearly a year
now.   That is really unhealthy for everyone involved with the project.
 I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to be working within that
box.    It's like an abusive relationship.   There is a degree of Stockholm
syndrome to stay within that broken system.    The good news is that it is
easy enough to fix this.    But Samsung needs to lead that change, by
acknowledging that there is a (very big) problem with the current setup,
and by making that change.

So there you go.    That is what you call speaking your mind.    I do it
with the best long term intentions for everyone involved with the Tizen
Project.   Not just to be a prick.    Because I am in a position to put
these thoughts which many other people probably have every day, but they
cannot articulate them, because to do so would be to bite the hand which
feeds, and because they are afraid of the consequences of that.    I am not.

My life experiences have taught me that speaking truth to power can have
very positive outcomes for everyone involved, and is a very rare trait -
https://bobsummerwill.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/speaking-truth-to-power-the-key-to-my-success-at-ea/
.

Go Tizen Go!

Bob Summerwill